In molecular virology lab, we study the gene function and interaction with host of human cytomegalovirus (HCMV) that causes several diseases in patients with congenital infections and impaired immune function, and Varicella-Zoster virus (VZV) that causes chickenpox and Zoster. The functions of viral immediate-early regulatory proteins, DNA replication proteins, and tegument proteins are studied using molecular biology, cell biology, and genetic analysis methods. Through studies on the defense mechanisms of cells responding to viral infections and on the functions of viral genes that regulate them, we investigate the interaction between viruses and hosts. We also study how to effectively control the infection of these viruses. Recently, we have been actively conducting research on viral regulation of the host innate immunity, on the mechanisms of virus entry and virion maturation, and on the interaction between viral infection and the cellular ubiquitin and ubiquitin-like modification systems.
1. Hyeon S, Lee MK, Kim YE, Lee GM, Ahn JH. 2020. Degradation of SAMHD1 restriction factor through Cullin-Ring E3 ligase complexes during human cytomegalovirus infection. Front. Cell. Infect. Microbiol. 10:391.
2. Lee MK, Hyeon S, Ahn JH. 2020. The Human Cytomegalovirus Transmembrane Protein pUL50 Induces Loss of VCP/p97 and Is Regulated by a Small Isoform of pUL50. J. Virol. 94(13):e00110-20.
3. Ravichandran S, Ahn JH*, Kim KK*. 2019. Unraveling the regulatory G-quadruplex puzzle: lessons from genome and transcriptome-wide studies. Frontiers in Genetics. 10:1002.
4. Ravichandran S, Kim YE, Bansal V, Ghosh A, Hur J, Subramani VK, Pradhan S, Lee MK, Kim KK*, Ahn JH*. 2018. Genome-wide analysis of regulatory G-quadruplexes affecting gene expression in human cytomegalovirus. PLoS Pathog. 14(9):e1007334.
5. Lee MK, Kim YJ, Kim YE, Han TH, Milbradt J, Marschall M, Ahn JH. 2018. Transmembrane protein pUL50 of human cytomegalovirus inhibits ISGylation by downregulating UBE1L. J. Virol. 92(15):e00462-18.
6. Kwon KM, Oh SE, Kim YE, Han TH, Ahn JH. 2017. Cooperative inhibition of RIP1-mediated NF-κB signaling by cytomegalovirus-encoded deubiquitinase and inactive homolog of cellular ribonucleotide reductase large subunit. PLoS Pathog 13(6): e1006423
7. Kim YJ, Kim ET, Kim YE, Lee MK, Kwon KM, Kim KI, Stamminger T, Ahn JH. 2016. Consecutive inhibition of ISG15 expression and ISGylation by cytomegalovirus regulators. PLoS Pathog. 12(8):e1005850.
8. Kim YE, Oh SE, Kwon KM, Lee CH, Ahn JH. 2016. Involvement of the N-terminal DUB domain of human cytomegalovirus UL48 tegument protein in auto-ubiquitination, virion stability and virus entry. J. Virol. 90(6):3229-3242.
9. Kim YE. Ahn JH. 2015. Positive role of promyelocytic leukemia protein in type I interferon response and its regulation by cytomegalovirus. PLoS Pathog. 11(3):e1004785.