Out research goal is to understand the causes of diseases at the molecular level and to develop patient or customized precision therapeutics. We are investigating the biological phenomena or cause of diseases via the interaction of biological molecules such as DNA, protein and metabolites by applying the structural and chemical biology approaches, which allow us to observe the molecules in detail and control their functions. Our main topics are following (1) research on the ubiquitin-dependent protein stability control of cancer related proteins and development of cancer therapeutics targeting ubiquitin pathway (2) understanding the structural and functional roles of the noncanonical DNAs in the genome and their regulation in cancers (3) development of novel antibacterial therapeutics to overcome antibiotic resistance and (4) regenerative medicine research using the patient-specific cell therapies.
1. Targeting mannitol metabolism as an alternative antimicrobial strategy based on the structure-function studies of mannitol-1-phosphate dehydrogenase in Staphylococcus aureus. Nguyen T, Kim T, Ta HM, Yeo WS, Choi J, Mizar P, Lee SS, Bae T, Chaurasia AK, Kim KK. MBio. 2019 Jul 910(4). pii: e02660-18. doi: 10.1128/mBio.02660-18 (IF 6.747)
2. Structural Basis for the Enantioivity of Esterase Est-Y29 toward (S)-Ketoprofen Ngo TD, Oh C, Mizar P, Baek M, Park Ks, Nguyen L, Byeon H, Yoon S, Ryu Y, Ryu BH, Kim TD, Yang JW, Seok C, Lee SS, Kim KK. ACS catalysis 2019 Jan 49(1):755-767. (IF 12.221)
3. Chemical induced conversion of mouse fibroblasts and human adipose-derived stem cells into skeletal muscle-like cells. Bansal V, De D, An J, Kang TM, Jeong HJ, Kang JS, Kim KK. Biomaterials. 2019 Feb193:30-46. (IF 10.273)
4. Sequence preference and structural heterogeneity of BZ junctions. Kim D, Hur J, Han JH, Ha SC, Shin D, Lee S, Park S, Sugiyama H, Kim KK. Nucleic Acids Res. 2018 Nov 246(19):10504-10513. doi: 10.1093/nar/gky784. (IF 11.147)
5. Small molecule-induced cellular conversion. De D, Halder D, Shin I, Kim KK. Chem Soc Rev. 2017 Oct 1646(20):6241-6254. (IF 40.443)