Hepatitis B virus (HBV) infection causes chronic hepatitis, liver cirrhosis (LC), and hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC). It is a major health problem with over 350 million carriers worldwide.
Influenza, the flu, is an infectious disease caused by an influenza virus. Influenza spreads around the world in a yearly outbreak, resulting in about three to five million cases of severe illness and about 250,000 to 500,000 deaths.
The major topics of current research in my laboratory include: 1) Pathogenesis of viral infection, 2) Host immune escape of virus, 3) virus-induced liver and pulmonary diseases, 4) Development of anti-viral drugs.
1. Shin GC, Moon SU, Kang HS, et al., & Kim KH*. PRKCSH contributes to tumorigenesis by ive boosting of IRE1 signaling pathway. Nat. Commun. 2019. Jul 1810(1):3185.
2. Park ES, Byun YH, Park S, et al., & Kim KH*. Co-degradation of interferon signaling factor DDX3 by PB1-F2 as a basis for high virulence of 1918 pandemic influenza. EMBO J. 2019. Apr 12. pii: e99475.
3. Park ES, Lee AR, Kim DH, et al., & Kim KH*. Identification of a quadruple mutation that confers tenofovir resistance in chronic hepatitis B patients. J Hepatol. 2019. Feb 19. S0168-8278(19)30120-5.
4. Kim DH, Park ES, Lee AR, et al., & Kim KH*. Intracellular interleukin-32γ mediates antiviral activity of cytokines against hepatitis B virus. Nat. Commun. 2018. Aug 169(1):3284.
5. Lee AR, Lim KH, Park ES, et al., & Kim KH*. Multiple functions of cFLIP are essential for replication of hepatitis B virus. J Virol. 2018. Jul 3192(16). pii: e00339-18.
6. Lim KH, Park ES, Kim DH, et al., & Kim KH*. Suppression of interferon-mediated anti-HBV response by single CpG methylation in the 5-UTR of TRIM22. Gut. 2017. Mar 23. pii: gu
7. Shin GC, Kang HS, Lee AR, Kim KH*. Hepatitis B Virus&8211triggered Autophagy Targets Death Receptor 5 for Degradation to Limit TNFSF10/TRAIL Response. Autophagy. 2016. 12 (12):1&821116.
8. Park YK, Park ES, Kim DH, et al., & Kim KH*. Cleaved c-FLIP mediates the antiviral effect of TNF-<alpha> against hepatitis B virus by dysregulating hepatocyte nuclear factors. J Hepatol. 2016. Feb64(2):268-277.
9. Ahn SH, Park YK, et al., & Kim KH*. The impact of the hepatitis B virus polymerase rtA181T mutation on replication and drug resistance is potentially affected by overlapping changes in surface gene. J Virol. 2014. 88(12):6805.
10. Park ES, Park YK, Shin C, et al., & Kim KH*. Hepatitis B virus inhibits liver regeneration via epigenetic regulation of urokinase-type plasminogen activator. Hepatology. 2013.58:762-776.